This could be one of the best stories I’ve read in some time, published in yesterday’s Daily Science Fiction.
In an very short number of words, it manages to have:
- A well developed plot, covering a number of events that have wide impacts on the story.
- Characters which all feel very real and three dimensional.
- Characters which also manage to change over the course of the story, no small feat in Flash Fiction.
- Incredible world-building. I can visualize this place, imagine what it would be like to live in this society.
- Some great writing, that flows really well for me.
If you have 5-10 minutes to spare, I’d check it out. Hetherington did an amazing job with this story.